الخميس، 26 أبريل 2012

Learning to work with dedicated servers


'm an ICT student, I've gotten classes on several subjects: coding(C#, Java), webdevelopment(XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP), databases(MySQL), Computertech(ASM coding, pc-architecture), Datacom(Cisco networking).
But I still wonder, how do you go about setting up a real big webproject, which requires dedicated servers.
I've been doing this for 2 years now, I'll probably graduate in another year or 2, but I haven't come about setting up something big and having to spend loads of time to configure it.
I don't even know how to set up a dedicated server. It'll probably live after its namesake: being dedicated to one task. But still, what does that look like? How do I work with it when I have to check things on it? How do I optimize it? How do I set up swift interaction with the other server(s) and how do I keep server load and bandwidth usage down.
These are all questions my school can't answer for me, simply because they have a set of courses to give and can't step outside that. As for me doing it myself, I can't afford stuff like that. And I don't like renting stuff like that either. You give money for some servers that are located several hundred miles away. I don't want that, I want the server within walking distance. I need to be able to walk up to that machine and configure it myself. Yet that's pretty unrealistic, financially speaking.
Also, when I think of servers, I think of this stuff:
alt text

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق